Depression is a disorder that is characterized by more than just sadness, it can also manifest as loss of interest, weight gain/loss, loss of motivation, sleeping disturbances, lack of energy, feeling worthless/hopeless, irritability, and thoughts of death, suicide, or self-harm.
• Different types of depression include:
major depressive disorder, persistent depressive disorder, bipolar disorder,
seasonal depression, postpartum,
depression and psychotic depression.
• Depression in children and adolescents
can look like lower self-esteem, poor
concentration, isolation, and frequent issues at school like absences or low
• Fewer than 50% of people experiencing depression receive treatment.
• Women are more affected by depression
• 3.2% of children 3-17 have been
diagnosed with depression.